Monday, May 30, 2011

peaceful is in the eye of the beholder.

i'll never cease to be amazed by how many different types of people there are. spending memorial day weekend in the south, the real true dirty hospitable south, reminded me that what is homey and charming to one may be a panic attack to another.

i'll never know what it is that makes me a city girl. i find electricity, eccentricity, and millions of people crammed into each other's living space to be comforting, i go to the country and, though i'm able to enjoy moments of wildlife and stars and down home-iness, it mostly feels like a foreign, dangerous place that could leave me stranded at any time.

ironically, it was LA i was stranded in when i flew home and my car wouldn't start. yet, i had options. aaa, airport shuttles, buses and taxis and people. i was still back in my living room within a couple hours ordering gyros to be delivered at midnight. things like that make me smile.

but i do understand the comfort that the simple love of a community can provide. i had around 30 people come to share a drink and a moment of life thursday night in memphis, and i realized how much i've been missing that love and friendship that can only be built in little layers over time. in LA, other than my jonny, i am somewhat alone, the friendships that are blossoming here are still in the infantile stages. but blossom they will. i pride myself on surrounding myself with people who are genuine. that's really my only requirement for friendship, because i can appreciate and understand anyone who bothers to honestly share.

two of my best friends married each other this weekend. i felt so honored to be there, a part of this special corner of their lives. their big melty cheesy romantic grins were infectious, their love big enough to fill the delta. for them, i wish for their love to stay strong, for them to comfort and cherish each other and never lose sight of the treasure they've found. for myself, i wish those layers of friendly insulation to keep on piling, keeping my heart nestled in love in the middle of my big, bright, boisterous, soothing city.

No comments:

Post a Comment