Saturday, October 8, 2011

occupy my mind.

It takes a lot for a nation to become restless enough to do something about it. Like a frog in a pot of water slowly being brought to a boil, most people (myself included) have been super content to be slowly screwed, just so long as the tv's working. Seriously, though I love and am fascinated by the idea of a revolution, I'd really prefer to just live my life. I'm not like, someone who needs a hobby. I don't really have time to protest corrupt corporate and governmental practices, and it's not like we can change it anyway, right?

It would seem that the last straw has been gently placed on America's back. Many people literally have nothing left to lose. Many are trying to just live, paycheck to paycheck, deciding which bill to pay on time(ish) and which to default on. Many's hearts are breaking from the things they cannot give their lovers, their children. The way they cannot take care of their parents. And no matter how many minimum wage jobs they work, no matter how many hours they put in, the most they can expect is to  s...c...r...a...p...e  by.  What's funny about this situation is, had the powers that be been ever so slightly less greedy, had they acknowledged the importance of a sleek, entertained, half-asleep middle class to their financial goals, people wouldn't be camping in the streets. As it is, things have gotten so unbalanced that the only thing that can happen is best expressed by the game Jenga. The universe will have balance, anything that lacks that principle will fall.

What I don't understand is why the wealthy aren't rushing, very, very publicly, to volunteer their support and a portion of their wealth. Warren Buffet had the right idea. He totally admitted to being, ahem, shady, but said he thought it was time to think of the good of society. And we all think of him as sort of modern day Robin Hood, if Robin Hood had a net worth of $50,000,000,000.00.  Imagine if you had a product, and you helped people not only get a little extra cash, but also gave them the security to feel that they could comfortably spend it, and made sure that they knew a) how much you had helped them, and b) where they could pick up your latest perfume, or dvd, or book. Imagine how much money could eventually made from being friendly with the 99%? Brand loyalty is important, and people don't forget the ones who impress them and give them hope.

In the matter of a few short weeks, #occupywallst has become something legitimate, something that doesn't seem to be going away. People don't go home if they don't have anything to go back to. It has pursed it's lips and blown into the embers of our imagination. It is getting people to read about the history and policies of our country, our federal reserve, and our elected officials. Most importantly, it has reawakened the kind of hope that Obama made a dirty word.

When I first got the facebook invite for the original #occupywallst, I didn't think much of it. I didn't bother to say whether I was attending or not attending. It sounded like a half-assed idea, and I tend to be cynical about people fighting the machine. I doubted anyone would show up. I doubted anyone would really camp. I assumed if anyone got arrested, everyone would leave. I doubted anyone else really thought that NO ONE in politics is in it to better the lives of average people. I still haven't gone to Occupy LA. I've been working, I'm lucky enough to have a job. Tomorrow I will go and see for myself. And I may find things to give me more hope. Or I may rethink said hope and look elsewhere for ideas. Regardless, I will go, and I will ask questions, and I will talk to many people about what they hope to accomplish. And mostly, I will express my gratitude to them for validating thoughts I've had for years, and for trying to remind our country how important it is to stay thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment