Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The War of the Worlds

When I was a little girl, my parents taught me that we were to "live in the world, but not be of the world." Because we were different, we were chosen, we were set apart. And I'm not saying they were wrong. I see the conviction and the passion my father has when discussing his church's teachings. I feel my mother's love for her God and see that she feels it returned, and I know she is edified by her faith. My journey has been very different because I have always felt most alienated around those I loved most, but at home in every part of the world, maybe because I'm highly adaptable and fascinated by literally EVERYTHING.

My extreme ideological differences from the little girl I was raised to be are apparent. It rarely comes up though, as I no longer fight to reconcile the two, I rather just embrace who I am now. In the past month however, several issues have surfaced that have made me painfully aware that sometimes, people are more defined by their belief system than by who they are. From the fight over contraception, to the overturning of prop  8, to the attack of planned parenthood by those defending the Susan G. Komen Foundation's decision to defund it, I am blinking in wonder and wondering what happened to make so many people run so fast and so furious away from rational thought.

Believe it or not, I do understand the catholic position on birth control. Better than most catholics, I'd be willing to bet. While I wholeheartedly disagree, I can actually explain why the sacred act of sex  must be accompanied by an openness to conception. It involves a whole mindset of 'this is what God wants, because he has revealed it to his church.' This might make sense to some people, but to me, sex is much, much more than loving babymaking. It's a trusting vulnerability and an ancient primal music. It is healthy, and it is good. That's what I have found to be true. And I have found most good catholics to be terrified of that deep, soulful connection. Because it resonates with holiness. Because it is spiritual at it's deepest level. Because it is true.

I don't think it's time for the catholic church to evaluate it's stand on birth control. I don't think any marketing campaign can save the church and it's best bet is to appeal to the stoics, like my family. There is at least a certain respect to be gained from sticking to one's position, come what may (just ask Ron Paul). However, in order for the purity of the catholic church's ideals to have any impact, they must be a respectable employer as well. Why an organization with a PR problem would fight paying for a preventative healthcare that 99% of adult women use (at some point) is completely beyond me. This is not the time for the church to all of a sudden NOT be hypocritical. It is an interesting battle to choose, and, since I have no insurance (so it won't affect me either way), I have the luxury of watching with interest, and more than a little fear for the healthcare of the women I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment